Our daughter (now 8 years old) is a creator, maker, tinker, love-a-mess type of child. She is always busy ‘presenting a show’ by either cooking up a storm or crafting through the use of various mediums. When we were discussing careers in our social sciences unit, I saw it fit to include some fun stuff for her to do.
I added this book to our afternoon crafter basket, note to my international readers, this title is in Afrikaans but find similar suggestions below.
‘As ek Groot is’ by Georgina Segarra & Bernadette Cuxart, published by Jacklin (ISBN 978-1-4150-3151-3) has playful activities for kids to explain in a hands-on manner what the specific job has in store for them when they grow up. She decided to dig into the Fruit sellers activity and all by herself created her scale and fruit stall.
She not only learned about the job but also did some math when counting change, we discussed why fruit and vegetables are healthy food choices, and she got to play and craft with recyclable items and clay.
Learning is much more fun when it is done playfully.
Here are a few titles you could explore to include a career topic into your homeschool day for pre-schoolers to middle schoolers.
- Look I’m an Engineer (Look! I’m Learning) Hardcover – August 7, 2018, by DK
- An Educational Coloring Book – 99 Occupations: “When I Grow Up I Want to Be…” For Ages 5 to 14 Paperback – October 24, 2016, by Tolik Trishkin (Author), Sarah Janisse Brown (Author)
- What Is My Career? Coloring Book and Activity Book for Kids Paperback – June 10, 2014, by Speedy Publishing LLC (Author)
- New Jobs Full of Wonder: 20 jobs kids and adults must hear about now (Children’s Jobs of the Future)Dec 4, 2017, by Al Phasso and Mary Hasanpour
- Look I’m a Cook Hardcover – June 6, 2017, by DK
- When I Grow Up, I Want To Be…: The Annual Career Possibility Journal for Kids Paperback – November 8, 2016, by Karleen Tauszik
- Who Am I?: An A-Z Career Guide for TeensJun 7, 2017 by Tai Abrams
- Career Ideas for Kids Who Like SportsAug 1, 2007 by Diane Lindsey Reeves and Lindsey Clasen
- Career Ideas for Kids Who Like Science Sep 1, 2007, by Diane Lindsey Reeves and Lindsey Clasen
- The Creative Child’s YUM-Schooling Cookbook: 15 Step-by-Step Recipes – With Coloring and Activities (Cookbooks for Creative & Dyslexic Kids) (Volume 1) Paperback – March 2, 2017, by Katya Brown (Author), Tolik Trishkin (Illustrator), Sarah Janisse Brown
- How to Make Money – A Handbook for Teens, Kids & Young Adults: What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up? What do You Want to Be Now? Paperback – December 18, 2015, by Sarah Janisse Brown (Author), Tolik Trishkin (Illustrator)